Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Unconditional Love

If I was a person of pure unconditional love, how would I think, feel and act, and how different would my life be? How would other people respond to me?

"Unconditional love is the Love of God, the only real Love: a limitless, changeless Love that embraces everyone and does not have to be earned in any way." How awesome is that! His love is unconditional, not based on feeling or emotion but because HE IS LOVE. We as humans seem to love conditionally... we love because someone fulfills a condition that we require before we can love them. I feel that the closest thing to unconditional love that humans have understanding of is that love between a parent and child or a husband and wife. We don't stop loving when they disappoint us or when an expectation isn't met... we make a choice to love even when we don't "feel" love.

If I was capable of loving everyone unconditionally like God does, would I even be able to handle the pain of rarely being loved in return? When I spoke, worked, played, and lived... would people understand? Or would I just be constantly persecuted for such love. Would people want to earn the love that I gave them, or would they just leave it on the floor? Would I be ignored? Would I be abused? Would I be taken advantage of? Would I eventually be left alone because no one understood me?

What a gift we have from a God who continues to love us no matter how many times we turn away. There is no such thing as love without God. To understand what true love is and to be able to truly love others, we must know God. HE IS LOVE.

for JCR 11/9/05