Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Vine

With roots firmly in the ground, the vine stretched tall towards the sky. Intertwined along the sides of the vine, the branches wrapped around as if in a continuous group hug. The branches that were not intertwined were weak and could not stand alone, instead they broke, falling to the ground. Supported by the vine, the branches were stronger with every inch of growth. The branches that had reached the top were then branched out and as the tips arched backwards, the ends bore the most most beautiful of fruit. The fruit was big, plump, and refreshing... a joy to all those who pass. We are called to be branches, intertwined with the body of believers and one with the central vine... Christ. Apart from the vine, we can not grow, we can not stand alone, and we definitely can not bear fruit. My Father is the gardener, pruning me to bear more and more fruit and cutting away the branches of me that do not. Held strong by my vine, I will be fruitful... I will be beautiful... and I will nourish all of those who pass by... I will be grown in Him.

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:4-5
* picture taken in a vinyard in Tuscany, October 2005

1 comment:

Katie said...

aims I love your mind and how you express what is so beautiful in your heart