Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I am a backseat driver.

I am a backseat driver. Yup, I said it. I am cursed with type A personality.

I choose not to drive, but yet, I sit in the back of the car and I want control. I criticize where we are headed, and the path that we are taking to get there. I try to offer suggestions about the best way to get places and I am embarrased to say I even try to pull the wheel a certain direction. I willingly gave my keys to the driver and while I trust that the driver will get me there safely, I rarely trust without question. I get nervous when the driver drives to fast, and I get annoyed when He drives too slow. It bothers me that the driver doesn't get agitated when He gets cut off, or that He never looses His temper in rush hour traffic. I slam my foot into the floorboard when I get scared, and I curse through the window at other cars on the road. Why should I be so worried about driving when I am merely a passenger? I am JUST a passenger, along for the ride... the ride of a lifetime... my life... and God is at the wheel! I don't know where we are headed and I don't know how we are going to get there. I am not in control... I am not at the wheel... I am not the driver. I am a passenger in the hands of my Heavenly Father... my driver.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

5 comments:

Katie said...

speaking my heart here aims

Mark D said...

Man, I needed that. Thank you!

Greg said...

Sweet post! Do you yell at the old lady when she is driving too slow as well?

This post is SO me.

Anonymous said...

The Clemson trip immediately comes to mind.... Other than that, very good post to read on a Monday morning.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! hepa air purifiers Zanussi upright freezers rosacea blotchy skin cream Florida legislation malpractice medical reform tort Lexapro the good and bad Killarney hiking 1981 nissan trucks pay marketing per promotion strategy ppc click Baumatic fan ovens Honeywell hepa germacidal air cleaner Taken allegra Briggs 5088 air filter