Friday, March 31, 2006

The Castle

The waves crashed peacefully into the shore. The water rushed up the beach and then back into the ocean... up and back.... up and back. A tiny girl sat at the waters edge, shovel in hand, the flat beach stretching at both of her sides. The sun was shinning down, beating warmly onto her back as she worked. She was silent, hard at work, trying to make it perfect. It was hard to tell what her creation was going to look like, but slowly with each bucket of sand, the castle took its shape. Four towers stood tall at the corners as the castle wall wrapped around the sand structure. There was a bridge arching over the tiny mote that surrounded the castle. On each of the towers she had meticulously placed windows where her Prince and Princess could look out onto their kingdom.

She stood up from her knees, and took a small step back, smiling as she admired her creation. Just as she was getting back down to make one more final touch, two small feet maliciously stepped through her castle knocking it to the ground. She could feel the anger boil beneath her as her castle was now a mere pile of sand on the beach. She didn't move, instead she just sat there, looking at the spot where her castle had once stood. Without saying a word, she picked up her bucket and shovel and returned to her knees, working again to rebuild what had been destroyed.

The playful boy had run off in the expectation that she would have chased after him down the beach yelling and screaming... but she hadn't. Surprised, he returned to her side.

"What are you doing?" he asked.
"Rebuilding my castle" she replied.
After a long pause she looked up at him standing by in shock, "if you help me I bet we can make it even better this time"
"Really?" he said confused that she would let him play, "you want ME to help you"
"Sure, why not?" she said, smiling with a love that came from deep within... the place where Jesus resides... her heart.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Romans 12:17-21

6 comments:

Katie said...

aims

I am ALWAYS touched by what you write, you crawl inside my head and my heart and impact me in the most amazing way

Greg said...

That would tick me off too... little brat. I wish I could say that I would have reacted the same way... sometimes a 7 year old has better perspective than a 33 year old.

Great post.

JCR said...

Brilliant

Patti said...

This was great. The ending took me by surprise. It showed me my true nature. Still don't have my heart totally in tune with Jesus yet.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.