Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Being Young and Growing Up

While sitting with some friends this weekend talking about life, love and the pursuit of happiness, my friend Dan said something that I can't get outta my head... He said, "Being young is thinking that you know everything, and growing up is realizing that you don't know s#@t!"

The older I get, the more I realize that I have to learn. It is so crazy for me to think back to college... I thought I had it all figured out. I was so sure of who I was, and yet I wasn't even sure of it? It was alot easier to convince others of who you were than to try to figure it out yourself. Reckless...stupid...invincible! Youth is like a game of chutes and ladders, with some people helping you up the ladders, and others pushing you down the slides. You never really know who is on your team, or which road map to follow. You question yourself, your friends, and the things you always believed in. But from the journey of youth emerges wisdom, discernment, and faith like never before.

I don't pretend to be done growing up, but there is one thing I know I have learned thus far... IT IS MINE! It's mine to screw up, its mine to learn from, and its mine to turn over to God. I don't need anyone to sit back and tell me how to live my life, its taken care of... its mine, and I choose to make it HIS.

3 comments:

Katie said...

it is ours and we make choices daily in it, some turn out good, others bad, but I hope that I continue to grow and learn from it

Greg said...

Good choice. Me too. :)

steve said...

nice!