Sunday, June 06, 2010

Mess

She yawned, jaw wide open as far as it would go, and then she reached her arms to the ceiling in a stretch, hands in tight fists.  With heavy eyelids, she scrunched her forehead in an attempt to make the headache go away.  She felt like she had been run over by a bus...  What a mess my life has become...  she thought to herself as she pulled herself out of bed.  Pushing through the dirty clothes all over the floor, she reached the bathroom door.

Frozen, she stared at the reflection looking back at her in the mirror.  Tears began pouring down her face.  She wanted so badly to see someone else in the mirror; she didn't even recognize this person.  Who is that stranger?  While some would say she is pretty, she could no longer see the beauty that was buried deep down inside.  Her heart was pure, but she had let her outside become so filthy.  Layer after layer, she had covered herself with masks so that she could fit in with the world,  slowly covering over the once radiant beauty beneath.  She was living a life of sin, filling herself up with things to satisfy the immediate, and surrounding herself with friends who lacked the integrity that she had always looked for... What have I done?  I've worked so hard to be myself, that in the process I have lost myself...  She pressed her lips together tightly in attempt to collect herself and stop the tears.  Turning away from the mirror, she counted to five as she took a deep breath... in... and out...  She wiped her face with the sleeve of her t-shirt and pulled her bed head back into a ponytail before looking back into the mirror...  Today, I want things to be different, Lord.  It's time to clean up this mess. 



Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  James 4:8

4 comments:

Understanding Alice said...

so easy to get in the mess, sometimes so long before the moment of realisation allows us to turn. I liked your post, thank you.

Dee Martin said...

Awesome plan - I agree wholeheartedly!

Carina said...

A picture that so very many of us can relate to.

I like David's words.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Psalm 51:7

Old Egg said...

Looking in the mirror first thing in the morning is not a clever thing to do, especially for Old Egg.

However if by that action you have become motivated I may have to try it more often.

This is a great piece of work.