Monday, July 17, 2006

Medicine

BOOM... BOOM... BOOM... I could feel my head pound louder with each heartbeat. I couldn't take it any longer... longing for relief of any sort, I reached into my medicine drawer and scrounged around for a bottle. Box after box, bottle after bottle, I searched through each specific drug trying to find which one would cure my aliment. For sinus and congestion, for backaches and muscle aches, for indigestion, I read through the labels... for headaches... yes! there it was! I popped two pills and waited, bottle in hand. MY HEAD STILL HURTS! With still pounding head, I went back to my desk to continue the day, hoping that the medicine would slowly kick in and lessen the intensity behind my forehead. Um, excuse me genie in a bottle, I took medicine, it's your turn to snap your fingers, or bob your head, or wiggle your nose....I don't care what you do, just do it! What is taking so long? Why haven't you healed me? I want to feel better NOW!

There are so many times in life when I am hurting that I just want to pray and have God heal me immediately. I want Him to hear my cry, and reply with answers. I want Him to soothe my burn with with the touch of His hand. I prayed... why don't I feel better? Is my desire for immediate gratification unrealistic? Well, it's human. I must have faith in God's perfect timing. It takes time, and patience to heal me when I am hurting. And it takes faith to know that my God is sovereign. Just like my medicine, God heals me... He is all the medicine I need.

4 comments:

Greg said...

We ARE always looking for an instant fix.

God isn't about instant fixes.

Anonymous said...

"What's past is prologue. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. All that shit. You'll get over it. Sometimes it still hurts. You know how it is, man. I mean, each day you think about it less and less. And then one day you wake up and you don't think of it at all, and you almost miss that feeling. It's kinda weird. You miss the pain." - Ron Livingston in "Swingers"

Katie said...

great post

i think i often expect the healing to be at the exact moment my pain ends and yet i think the healing is the process in the midst of the pain, i might not be "fixed" immediatly but I am always being healed

Aim Claim said...

Dear Anonymous,
I am so sorry that I hurt you. I don't know if this post is your way of telling me that you are ok or if it is merely a jab, but I couldn't let it just pass by without replying. I have to admit, it hurt me that you couldn't even speak a word to me last month. I miss your friendship, and while I realize that it will never be the same, I long to be able to say hi to you and find out what is new with your life when our paths do cross, because I DO care about your life. I talked to a friend of ours the other day about you wanting nothing to do with me and he said that I should just let go and give you your space. So, I guess that is what I will do. This is me giving you your space. I will continue to pray for you and the future that God has set before you. Thanks for years of friendship that you have given to me.

-Aim