Friday, July 28, 2006

My Apartment

I always wanted a little apartment in the city. Well, I got it.. and it wasn't just little, it was tiny. With just a few paychecks under my belt, I moved to the city to inhabit a one room apt (what they call an efficiency) that measured to 485 square feet. Having never lived alone, I didn't really know what to expect, but it didn't take long for me to appreciate the space (no matter how small) that I could now call mine.

Three years later, I lay in bed in my tiny city dwelling, for the last night before moving. I listened to the swishing sound from outside my window as the cars drove by. With each car's passing the headlights produced a striped light from my blinds that quickly moved all across my ceiling. I hear people cheering over a game at the sports bar downstairs. Every fifteen minutes, like clockwork, the rattle of the Uptown Trolley begins... rumbling quietly first... then louder...and louder... then less... and less... until the trolley has passed completely. I smile as I remember how much this noise had bothered me when I had first moved in... I hardly notice it now as it rocks me to sleep.

I'm gonna miss this place. I am gonna miss the bruises on my shins from running into my cramped furniture. I am gonna miss the bag of shoes in my living room that I have to use because my closet won't hold them all. I am gonna miss having to travel down the hall to do my laundry. I am gonna miss waiting for 5-10 minutes on the elevator. I am gonna miss being able to see my fridge from my bed. I am gonna miss being able to walk to many fabulous restaurants and bars. I am gonna miss the skyscrapers watching over me. I am going to miss a convenient store downstairs. I am gonna miss walking and jogging down Katy trail. I am gonna miss my tiny apartment in the city and all that comes with it... this apartment is now a part of me that I will never forget.

9 comments:

JCR said...

I'll miss it too...especially the weird coffee/girl/mold smell that slaps you across the face everytime you walk through the door...good memories in that place...

Looking forward to what is to come ever mindful of what is behind...

Katie said...

funny how something that we find so annoying at the moment can become such a special memory

Excited for you and your new place

tricia said...

I miss Uptown too :) Sigh...

Greg said...

Something sad about saying goodbye to old freedoms memories... but welcoming the new freedoms and memories make it worth while.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Hooked area rug with whimsical bumble bees

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP roof racks vans Polk audio computer speakers upskirt land rover wilderness roof rack bussmann circuit breaker top roof rack Cheap calling card kentucky states Henderson county tax records 66 pontiac gto Defition of national debt Webserver comp edge lipitor 180 doses for $94 Fioricet hallucinations Payless furniture Spreadsheet shirt design pt cruiser roof rack

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Samochod osobowy saab scania Delaware powerball for september 24

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »