Friday, December 16, 2005

Little Women

"Merry Christmas, little daughters! I'm glad you began at once, and hope you will keep on. But I want to say one word before we sit down. Not far away from here lies a poor woman with a little new-born baby. Six children are huddled into one bed to keep from freezing, for they have no fire. There is nothing to eat over there; and the oldest boy comes to tell me they are suffering hunger and cold. My girls, will you give them your breakfast as a Christmas present?"
Louisa May Alcott

I love this part of Little Women as these mature young ladies give up the little bit that they have for others. Louisa May Alcott captures what is truly the heart of Christmas... it's about the giving, not the getting. We give because our Father gave us the greatest gift of all... his Son.