Monday, February 27, 2006

Lottery

I walked up to the counter. Smiled. Then I dug my hand into a simple manila envelope and out came the $95 that my co-workers had all chipped in. I was the elected ticket buyer. I guess they thought I was lucky. After watching the meat packers in Nebraska win 22 million dollars each in their work lottery pool, a few people in my office decided that they too would like to be millionaires... who could blame them. Well, the lottery jackpot was 203 million, and... suprise! suprise! We didn't win :(

Be honest. Every time you buy a lottery ticket, you can't help but let those million dollar sugar plums dance through your head. I mean, I really can't even begin to fathom that kind of money. What would I do? I would never have to work again. I could buy an amazing house, car, plane, heck! whatever I wanted! I could travel the world. I could take care of my friends and family. I could give tons of money to charity. Winning the lottery would fix all of my problems! Or would it?

What really matters to me in life? Can they be bought? What do I pursue... love of money or love of God? What a hard lesson to remember when we get so caught up in having it all. While money can do so many things... it will never send me to Heaven.

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.
1 Timothy 6:10-11

3 comments:

Katie said...

"pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness."

What a high calling and i love that none of those can be obtained by a check book or credit card.

steve said...

I always tell people to research the winners of past millions... Most say its teh worst thing that ever happened to them...


I mean, really... look at what happened to Hurley

4 8 15 16 23 42

Greg said...

yep... no lottery tickets for me...I try to think I would be responsible with all that money... but probably not the case.