Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Valentine

She had been working on it for days. It had to be perfect, nothing less. Her mom knocked on her bedroom door. Quickly, she placed her craft back into her backpack so that her mother couldn’t see it.

“What are you making, Honey?” Her mother asked.

Not wanting to explain what she was doing, the seven year old shook her head as she began to organize her pink and red markers on the desk, “Nothing Mom”

“Are you making a Valentine?” She asked cautiously, “Will you show it to me?”

Hesitantly, the girl reached down and pulled it out of her bag. For being made out of construction paper, it was the most beautiful valentine that her mother had ever seen. She could tell that it was made with love, the way a valentine should be. There was one thing that struck her as rather odd about the valentine. Instead of having a heart on it, or being shaped like a heart, it had a simple red and pink cross on the front made with glitter.

“It’s gorgeous, who is the valentine for? A boy in class?”

The girl nodded her head.

“You’ve never made a Valentine before? This boy must be special?”

The girl became slightly frustrated for having to explain something to her mother that seemed so simple. She spoke in a very matter of fact way. “Mom, I never made a valentine before because I couldn’t give my heart to anyone... Jesus has it.”

Smiling, the mother replied, “You are right, sweetie, Jesus does have you heart. So what makes this year different?”

The young girl paused for a moment “Well, I talked to Jesus, and He said that since He has both of our hearts, that they could be together.”


---To the man who swept me off my feet, put a sparkle in my eye, and changed my heart for all eternity. Thank you for finding me. You are my one true love, my precious Valentine. Oh yeah, and I talked to Jesus, He said that our hearts could be together…

3 comments:

JCR said...

I love you, Aim.

Eddo said...

Awww... that was very sweet.

Patti said...

What a nice statement. I think I need to tell my husband that.