Thursday, February 09, 2006

What do I deserve?

"Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve; Mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve."

To be worthy of something... to deserve it...what does that mean? We always say things like "oh thanks, I don't deserve this gift, how nice" or "I deserve a promotion after how hard I have worked" or to a loved one "I don't deserve you" or about the wrongdoer, "they'll get what they deserve!" or to a friend in a bad relationship, "you deserve so much better than him!" So, what DO I deserve? What do I have that I don't deserve? What do I give to others that they don't deserve? What has God given to me that I don't deserve?

When things in life are good, I seem to be more thankful than when things aren't so good. I thank Him for what I get and I rarely thank Him for what I don't get. Really, when it comes down to it... I don't deserve any of it. NOTHING. I am unworthy of His love. I am unworthy of my life, and all that is in it, whether good or bad. I am unworthy of His grace, His mercy, and His love.

3 comments:

Mark D said...

That posture will take you farther than you can ask, think, or imagine. Jesus said that those who acknowledge their sin (admitting they fall short and don't deserve God's grace) are forgiven and washed, but for those who claim to have no sin (and think they live up to deserving it), their sin remains.

I saw a good acronym for grace:
God's
Righteousness
At
Christ's
Expense

I know Jesus paid a debt that I could never have repaid no matter how hard I tried...but yet I find myself still trying...trying to earn it. It's in those times I definitely need His mercy.

Katie said...

all so true Aim, makes me so thankful for the gifts I have, which really is everything

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Protect your computer spyware security home microsoft Blood pressure normal values Explain 401k pmi mortgage insurnace Best refinance home mortgage 2075 Loan payday online cash advance preferredpaydayloan com Trichomonas + sauna protonix 40mg tablets ultracet online from canada phone service los mortgage companies colorado springs Mortgage rate in massachusetts Engine leeds optimization search Better of dead car driveway Big face aluminum driver golf nissan motor