Monday, January 23, 2006

I am His.

I saw a bumper sticker on the way to work today... "I may be fat, but you're ugly - I can lose weight!"

At first I chuckled. Then I began to feel sorry for the poor soul who was so insecure that they felt the need to pull others down to make themselves feel good. It seems as if each and every one of us is insecure in our own way... I'm fat, I'm ugly, I'm stupid, I'm unsuccessful, I'm not good enough... so, what is enough? If our focus is on our own failures and inadequacies, we'll be immobilized by self-pity or self-hatred. We oscillate between feeling good about ourselves and feeling bad. Our successes elevate our self-esteem, and our failures (or sometimes others' successes) lower it. It's a roller-coaster ride...I want off! Why do I continue to try to determine our my own worth. Why do I need to compare myself to others? It's in God's eyes that I matter. In His eyes, I am unique, irreplaceable, valuable, loveable, and perfectly made. To Him, I am beautiful- inside and out, because I am His!

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14